Welcome

Welcome to this occasional blog. All comments are welcome. If you haven't time to read the blogs, then scroll to the bottom of the page and check out my podcast of each blog.

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Intermediate Egret: Julia Creek, North West Queensland





Intermediate Egret Julia Creek Qld
A few weeks ago when category 5 Cyclone Marcia was bearing down on the Central Queensland coast, and all was still and dry in the west, I went to investigate a guttural croak from the other side of the bulrushes in the creek at the RV rest area at Julia Creek and disturbed an Intermediate Egret (Egreta intermedia).  

He flew up into a dead tree and I was able to see that he was in partial breeding plumage.  He seemed to be alone and I wondered whether there was, somewhere out of sight, a colony of these birds, or even a nest.  It seems unlikely, but on my return to the area I will do a little more investigating.  

Intermediate Egret Julia Creek Qld
 The long fine courtship plumes and the apple green facial skin during the breeding season enhance the graceful appearance of this normally quiet and placid bird.  The Intermediate egret is common in the east and north of Australia. 

Although all the reference maps show the bird is present in this area  I have only seen the occasional Intermediate Egret, usually standing on the edge of a bore drain, during my travels along the Flinders Highway.  Perhaps he had fled the extreme weather in the upper atmosphere further to the east  and ended up in Julia Creek, perhaps not.  Whatever the reason the bird was there, I hope that the permanent water at the RV rest area will encourage others to come and continue to entrance me.

Claire Wood

http://www.birdsinbackyards.net/forum/Egrets-cattle-and-intermediate

No comments:

Post a Comment